Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Day of The 2nd SMWA National Qualifiers


CROSSFIT Armed in Port Kennedy was already abuzz with crowds of spectators and competitors when I arrived at 11AM. The venue was excellent, from the hard rubber flooring inside which was ideal for deadlifting, right down to the smooth expanse of pretty much level carpark we had for the walking events. The Crossfit armed team not only provided a winning venue but also took care of the catering with a delicious barbecue, and SMWA and Team Macri got everything else rolling in time for the 12 noon start.







Event 1: Yoke walk 350 kgs (770 lbs) for 15 meters
I sucked right out of the gate, and sucked hard. I quit maybe 3 feet from the finish line after dropping it several times and putting in one of my poorest performances in this event to date. I'm pretty sure the time had expired.

Event 2: Log clean-press
attempt 1.    90 kgs  - easy enough
attempt 2.   100 kgs (220 lbs) PR
attempt 3.   105 kgs  - fail
Pretty happy with this one, and reckon in another week or two I'll have that 105!

Event 3: Deadlift
attempt 1.   240 kgs (530 lbs) - 10 kilos under my current max. Felt smooth, but not easy
attempt 2.   250 kgs - fail
A 2nd attempt at 250 was only going to damage my back further, and I wanted to be as fresh as possible for the finale, so I canned it

Event 4: Farmers walk 130 kgs (285 lbs) p/hand for 25 meters
16-point-something seconds. A helluva PR 
Considering I only handled 115 kgs at the last comp, in just under 13 seconds (and still the SMWA record for that weight btw :P). This was a great way to finish the day.

I TOOK 2nd place in the heavyweight division, beating my 3rd placing in the first round of competition, and paving the way for a serious crack at a competitive national ranking in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment